Subscribers: this is included in your Subscription.
This special limited edition spot gloss slipcover (designed by Alessa Kreger) is limited to 6,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.
Brazil’s “Boca do Lixo,” or “Mouth of Garbage” film movement yielded some of the most outrageous and original genre films of the early to mid 80s, yet despite their copious amounts of sex, violence, and often madcap plotlessness, very few were ever distributed outside of their native country. Vinegar Syndrome proudly presents the world Blu-ray debuts of two Boca-styled women-in-prison classics:
AMAZON JAIL (Curral de Mulheres) - 93 min
Deep in the Amazon, dozens of beautiful women are being held hostage in bamboo huts, waiting to be sold on the white slave market. The operation is run by Edgar, a perverted drunk, and Helena, a vicious lesbian. However, when Edgar’s young nephew attempts to help the women escape from their tropical prison, the group are quick to learn that the jungle is no less trecherous…
An exceedingly crass take on the women-in-prison genre, Oswaldo de Oliveira’s AMAZON JAIL features Brazilian matinee idol, Elizabeth Hartmann along with character actors Maurício do Valle, Sergio Hingst, and Vanessa Alves and is presented in a stunning new 4K restoration of its original 35mm negative.
AMAZON JAIL II (Prisioneiras da Selva Amazônica) - 74 min
When a group of tribeswomen are kidnaped, to be sold to a Japanese white slave trader, they find unlikely aid in the men who have been hired to transport them to captivity. Fleeing with the girls, the unlikely traveling companions become lost in the jungle, having to contend with unexpected dangers - both human and animal. But their would-be slaver, and his dwarf assistant, are unwilling to give up on such a prize catch so easily…
Part jungle adventure and part crime-thriller, Conrado Sanchez’ AMAZON JAIL II blends action and T&A, with an all but surreal sense of self-parody and stars Vanessa Alves alongside Brazilian cult actor, Chumbinho and is presented newly restored in 4K for the first time!
directed by: Oswaldo de Oliveira, Conrado Sanchez
starring: Chumbinho, Elizabeth Hartmann, Maurício do Valle, Sandra Graffi, Lígia de Paula, Elys Cardoso, Shirley Benny, Vanessa Alves
1982-1987 / 167 min (combined) / 1.66:1 / Portuguese & English Mono
- 2-disc Region A Blu-ray Set
- Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative (Amazon Jail) and a 35mm answer print (Amazon Jail II)
- Presented in their original Portuguese language soundtracks with newly translated English subtitles and English dub tracks
- Commentary track with with film historian Fábio Vellozo for AMAZON JAIL
- A brand new interview with AMAZON JAIL lead actress Elizabeth Hartmann (13 min)
- A conversation with AMAZON JAIL II director Conrado Sanchez (40 min)
- A conversation with supporting actress Vanessa Alves (24 min)
- "Latin American Exploitation Cinema" (19 min) - an interview with film historian Dr. Victoria Ruétalo
- "The Sadean Woman in Prison" (60 min) - a video essay by film historian Annie Rose Malamet
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- Newly translated English subtitles